Thursday, November 5, 2009

Just a Mom

Last night at work I was asked by my boss why I didn't work fulltime. "Are you just a mom?" Wow. While some moms may be offended by that, I actually was not. I wanted to say "Being a mom is my REAL job; here I'm just a nurse." I know that to some people being a mom isn't recognized as being as important as careers and professions, but to me striving to be the best mom and wife is the most important work that I do. Even when it's tough. Even when I feel like my efforts go unrewarded and unnoticed. Even when I feel like I am failing completely.

Found this quote today and thought I'd share....

"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own." -Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons

2 comments:

  1. bri, i love that quote!! i cna't count how many times i have been asked if i am jsut a mom, maybe people don't entail all that being a mom is, but i am proud to say yes i am just a mom!!! nothing is more important than that! loveyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that being a Mom is a full time job and I have been on both ends of the field. So I wish you had said what you were thinking to your boss.

    ReplyDelete