Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Escape of the Baby

Why do I take Tyce shopping with me? I have asked myself this many times and yet continue to hope for the best on the next trip. I took him to Roberts with me because all I had to buy was some ribbon. The moment we walked into the store he started trying to run away from me. Each time I would pick him up and hold him as he kicked and screamed until my arms got too tired and then the whole thing would start again with him trying to run off. Had he stayed with me all along the shopping would have lasted all of 5 minutes.

When I finally had my ribbon selection in my arms (and began to wonder why I didn't get a cart), Tyce took off toward the back of the store. I happened to have about 10 spools of ribbon in my arms (one falling with each step and then another falling each time I would reach down to grab the first one that fell). I decided to go up the next isle over and cut him off. Well, at some point he decided to change course and headed to the front of the store instead. As I approached the back wall I realized that he had outsmarted me. As I quickened my pace to the front of the store, I tried to fight off the sick feeling that he had run out the front doors of the store into the parking lot. I began the embarrassing but necessary task of yelling out Tyce's name in all directions as I scanned each isle on my way to the store's entrance. At the front of the store was a lovely store clerk holding my little Tyce and giving him a balloon. (Because he is sooo cute and innocent and his bad mommy can't even keep track of her barely-2-year-old little darling while she shops).

"I'll take that little boy off your hands," I said nearly out-of-breath. Just then an eruption of laughter and chuckles erupted from behind me. I turned around to see a line of at least 15 people watching all the events unfold. Another great humiliating mommy moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment